Remains of 2nd US soldier missing in Morocco discovered
Remains of 2nd US soldier missing in Morocco discovered
The remains of the second U.S. soldier who had been missing in Morocco since May 2 were recovered on Tuesday from a coastal cave.
The deceased service member was identified as Spc. Mariyah Symone Collington, 19, of Taveres, Fla., the Army said in a Thursday press release.
Collington along with 1st Lt. Kendrick Lamont Key Jr. went missing during military exercises in Morocco, setting off a multinational search operation that deployed more than 1,000 U.S. and Moroccan military and civil personnel across air, naval and artificial intelligence equipment.
The two soldiers fell off a cliff into the ocean during an off-duty hike near the Cap Draa Training Area during African Lion 26 – a multinational military exercise held annually in Morocco and led by the U.S. The incident remains under investigation.
“Royal Moroccan Armed Forces transported the Soldier’s remains by a Moroccan helicopter to the morgue of Moulay El Hassan Military Hospital in Guelmim, Morocco,” the statement said, adding that the remains of both Collington and Key are enroute to the United States.
Collington served as an air and missile defense........
