menu_open Columnists
We use cookies to provide some features and experiences in QOSHE

More information  .  Close

Pope Leo XIV downplays feud with Trump: ‘Not in my interest’ to debate him

65 0
18.04.2026

AP — Pope Leo XIV said Saturday that it was “not in my interest at all” to debate US President Donald Trump about the Iran war, but that he would continue preaching the Gospel message of peace.

Leo spoke to reporters aboard the papal plane flying from Cameroon to Angola as part of his 11-day tour of Africa.

He addressed the spiraling back-and-forth saga of Trump’s critiques of his peace message, which have dominated news headlines this week. But the American pope also sought to set the record straight, insisting that his preaching isn’t directed at Trump, but reflects the broader Gospel message of peace.

“There’s been a certain narrative that has not been accurate in all of its aspects, but because of the political situation created when, on the first day of the trip, the president of the United States made some comments about myself,” he said.

“Much of what has been written since then has been more commentary on commentary, trying to interpret what has been said,” he said.

Trump launched the criticism on his social media platform Truth Social on the night of April 12, when he criticized Leo’s preaching about peace as the war, which began with joint US-Israeli strikes on February 28 and was followed by Iran’s retaliation, raged on. Trump accused Leo of being soft on crime, cozy with the left, and said........

© The Times of Israel