Hezbollah chief: Iran-US deal is best chance to end Israeli ‘aggression’ in Lebanon
Hezbollah chief Naim Qassem said Tuesday that a ceasefire deal between the US and Iran would be the best chance to end Israel’s “aggression” against Lebanon.
An “Iranian-US agreement that includes a halt to the aggression in Lebanon is basically the strongest card for stopping the aggression,” Qassem wrote in a letter to operatives of the Iran-backed Lebanese terror group.
The comments came after US President Donald Trump rejected Iran’s latest ceasefire proposal and said the Iran truce that began on April 8 was on “life support.”
Qassem in his letter also blasted the Lebanese government for conducting direct talks with Israel, and said the talks should not include discussions of Hezbollah’s disarmament, which is sought by both Israel and the government in Beirut.
“No one outside Lebanon has any say in the weapons, the resistance, or the organization of Lebanon’s internal affairs,” Qassem said. “This is an internal Lebanese matter and not part of negotiations with the enemy.”
A third round of the Israeli-Lebanese talks is set to take place on Thursday and Friday in Washington, after the first direct meeting in decades between the two sides was held last month.
Trump announced a ceasefire in Lebanon days after the first meeting, but the talks have caused divisions in Lebanon, with Hezbollah rejecting direct negotiations with Israel and saying their outcomes do not concern the........
