Antisemitic attacks in Europe raise questions about new, shadowy ‘terror group’
JTA — Two minors have been arrested in connection with a car burning in the Jewish quarter of Antwerp in what is being treated as an antisemitic attack, Belgian prosecutors said.
The two suspects were arrested shortly before midnight Monday, just minutes after setting the vehicle on fire.
Prosecutors also said the investigation includes a video circulating on social media, in which a group that calls itself Harakat Ashab al-Yamin al-Islamiya, or HAYI, claims responsibility for the attack, the latest in a string of such incidents across Europe.
The group, whose name roughly translates to The Islamic Movement of the People of the Right Hand, was unknown until earlier this month, when it took responsibility for the firebombing of a synagogue in Liège, Belgium, on March 9.
Security analysts know little about the group, and aren’t able to confirm its authenticity. As of March 24, however, HAYI or those claiming to speak in its name has taken responsibility for attacks on the following: a synagogue in Rotterdam, Netherlands on March 13; a Jewish school in Amsterdam also on March 13; a series of fires on the Jewish ambulance service in London on March 22; a thwarted attack on a Chabad Hebrew school in Heemstede, Netherlands on Monday; and Monday’s car burning in Antwerp.
None of the attacks have resulted in injuries. All the arrests made in HAYI-affiliated attacks so far have involved young adults or teenagers.
Although information is scarce, some analysts say the group could be tied to pro-Iranian militias with a local footprint in Europe, serving as a cover for their activities. Attacks against Jewish sites in the United States, Europe and Canada have escalated since February........
