Bihar: At Least Nine Rounds Fired from AK-47 During Youth Protest in Siwan
The youth movement in Bihar over the alleged examination paper leak took a violent turn in Siwan on July 25 during the Bihar Bandh called by the All India Students Association (AISA). The bandh was organised to protest the police lathi-charge on students during a massive youth demonstration in Patna on July 22 demanding the resignation of former Union education minister Dharmendra Pradhan.
Violence erupted near J.P. Chowk in Siwan as protesters clashed with police. During the confrontation, police personnel opened fire using AK-47 assault rifles and pistols.
Three youths suffered serious gunshot injuries. They were identified as 15-year-old Mohammad Arif, 21-year-old Akash Yadav and 20-year-old Bullet Kumar Gond. All three were initially admitted to Siwan Sadar Hospital before being referred to Medanta Hospital in Patna due to the severity of their injuries. Shortly after the incident, videos showing blood-soaked Akash and Arif being rushed to hospital on a rickshaw circulated widely on social media.
According to the injured and their families, none of the three was participating in the violent protest. Arif, who worked at a local shop, was allegedly shot in the neck while returning home after closing the shop because of the bandh. Akash, a resident of Rae Bareli in Uttar Pradesh, had travelled to Siwan to celebrate his birthday with his fiancée and was allegedly shot while returning after buying a cake.
Bullet Kumar Gond said he was on his way to the district magistrate’s office to obtain caste and residence certificates when he was hit by a bullet in the leg. He further alleged that police assaulted him with fibreglass batons even after he had been shot and forced him to hop on one leg to the police station. “I was left writhing in pain for about an hour before an ambulance was called,” he said.
Following the incident, a video showing a police constable firing an AK-47 rifle went viral. Bihar Police suspended constable Abhishek Kumar after the footage surfaced. In a statement issued on July 27, Siwan Police claimed the constable fired four rounds into the air after being surrounded by protesters in order to protect lives and government property. The police further claimed that no one was injured in the firing. A departmental inquiry has been ordered, and Siwan superintendent of police Puran Kumar Jha said the investigation would also examine who authorised the firing.
However, an analysis by Alt News........
