Berlin okays bid to host Olympics on or after 100th anniversary of Nazis’ 1936 Games
BERLIN, Germany (AP) — Berlin’s state parliament has given the go-ahead for the city’s bid to re-host the Olympic Games on or after the 100th anniversary of the 1936 Games staged by the Nazis.
“Our bid is a genuine promise for future generations,” Berlin Mayor Kai Wegner said during the 90-minute debate that preceded the vote Thursday. “We want positive development for Berlin.”
Wegner’s CDU political party received support from rival SPD members and the far-right AfD for the Berlin Olympic and Paralympic plans that he first presented in May last year in the same stadium where Jesse Owens defied Adolf Hitler in the 1936 Games.
Berlin’s state government approved the concept this month for a bid that relies mostly on existing sports facilities and envisages using city landmarks such as the city park at the former airport Tempelhof.
It estimated the cost at 4.82 billion euros ($5.6 billion), with revenue of 5.24 billion euros projected, giving a net profit of around 420 million euros, with a quarter of that going to the International Olympic Committee (IOC).
“If we put on a summer fairy tale for the world, then it’s a chance for the world,” Wegner said.
The plans were opposed by politicians from the Left party........
