Report: IRGC running Hezbollah, preparing it for war with Israel if US strikes Iran
Officers from Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps have effectively taken charge of Hezbollah in anticipation of a war with the US and Israel, Saudi outlet Al-Arabiya reported Saturday, as Lebanese officials were said to assail the possibility of their country getting dragged into battle.
The IRGC officers, some of whom recently arrived in Lebanon from Iran, are tasked with rebuilding Hezbollah’s military capabilities, which were significantly degraded in the 14-month fighting with Israel that ended with a November 2024 truce, Al-Arabiya said, citing sources close to Hezbollah.
The Iranian officers have also been personally briefing Hezbollah operatives across Lebanon, said the unnamed sources cited by Al-Arabiya. They added that IRGC officers were meeting with members of Hezbollah’s missile unit at a site in Lebanon’s Beqaa Valley that was bombed by Israel overnight, amid a wave of airstrikes that wounded at least 50 people and killed 12, including a senior Hezbollah officer. The IDF said the strikes targeted Hamas and Hezbollah command centers.
According to the Hezbollah-aligned sources, a wider Israeli military offensive against Lebanon is only a matter of time.
The report came as US President Donald Trump has amassed military forces in the region and repeatedly threatened to use them against Iran, first over the Islamic Republic’s brutal crackdown on anti-regime protesters last month and more recently over its nuclear program.
Israel is preparing to fight alongside the US and expects to be targeted by Iran if the US strikes there, according to Hebrew media.
Channel 12 news reported Saturday that Trump was leaning toward attacking Iran, but had agreed to a request from his envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner to give Iran another day or two to submit a proposal in the indirect US-Iran nuclear negotiations that commenced earlier this month.
An unnamed US official was quoted by the network saying that the 10- to 15-day deadline Trump gave Iran on Thursday was “not scientific.”
Trump has demanded Iran give up entirely on its nuclear enrichment program, but is reportedly open to letting the Islamic Republic preserve some “token” enrichment capabilities.
Speaking to pro-Iran demonstrators in Lebanon last month, Hezbollah chief Naim Qassem said the terrorist group would not be neutral if the US struck Iran, but stopped short of explicitly threatening Israel.
Meanwhile, the Ynet news site said in an unsourced report this week that Iran was pressuring Hezbollah to fight alongside it in the event of a war with Israel. The report also said the IDF had prepared a plan to “significantly strike” Hezbollah and had conveyed to it “that if it decides to intervene, this time the blow will be very painful.”
On Saturday, anti-Hezbollah Lebanese outlet Nidaa al-Watan cited “prominent political sources” in the country as saying Beirut must declare its neutrality in case of a US-Iran war, and refuse to let Hezbollah drag Lebanon into war with Israel.
“Hezbollah thought it could confuse Israel and the US by saying it would not be neutral if Iran were struck, so Israel responded by saying that as soon as it’s informed by Washington of the zero hour, it will preemptively strike Hezbollah. Israel won’t let Hezbollah have the initiative,” Nidaa al-Watan quoted its sources as saying. “Hezbollah will drag Lebanon into this war.”
Hezbollah, previously a formidable force in Lebanon’s government, has been politically sidelined with the accession in January 2025 of Lebanon’s US- and Saudi-backed President Joseph Aoun, a former army chief who has vowed to uphold a state monopoly on arms — a thinly veiled threat against Hezbollah’s extensive arsenal.
If so, we have a request.
Every day during the past two years of war and rising global anti-Zionism and antisemitism, our journalists kept you abreast of the most important developments that merit your attention. Millions of people rely on ToI for fact-based coverage of Israel and the Jewish world.
We care about Israel - and we know you do too. So we have an ask for this new year of 2026: express your values by joining The Times of Israel Community, an exclusive group for readers like you who appreciate and financially support our work.
We’re really pleased that you’ve read X Times of Israel articles in the past month.
You clearly find our careful reporting valuable, in a time when facts are often distorted and news coverage often lacks context.
Your support is essential to continue our work. We want to continue delivering the professional journalism you value, even as the demands on our newsroom have grown dramatically since October 7.
So today, please consider joining our reader support group, The Times of Israel Community. For as little as $6 a month you'll become our partners while enjoying The Times of Israel AD-FREE, as well as accessing exclusive content available only to Times of Israel Community members.
Thank you,David Horovitz, Founding Editor of The Times of Israel
1 Israeli officials believe US, Iran at unbridgeable impasse as they near open conflict
2 Tucker Carlson claims Israel targeted his family, Netanyahu ‘believes in blood guilt’
3 South Africa pulls out of Venice Biennale after minister pans artist’s focus on Gaza
4 Israeli strikes in Lebanon kill at least 12, including senior Hezbollah official
5 UK Jewish leaders condemn vandalism of London bakery accused of ‘funding Israel’
6 Hamas says open to Gaza peacekeeping force, but rejects foreign role in ‘internal affairs’
7 InterviewAfter years documenting Oct.7, Israeli NYT photographer turns her lens on something sweeter
8 Democratic candidate running for US Senate in Illinois says Israel committed ‘genocide’
Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps IRGC
