Trump said to order new wave of Iran strikes aimed at forcing regime’s surrender
US President Donald Trump has ordered another wave of strikes against Iran, with the aim of forcing the Islamic Republic’s surrender, the Wall Street Journal reported early Saturday, with other reports suggesting Israel could take part in attacks expected to target Iran’s energy infrastructure.
Citing US officials, the report said the bombing was expected to last several days and could start as soon as this weekend.
Trump had earlier indicated that the US would be resuming hostilities.
“We’ll be hitting them very hard,” Trump said about Iran on Friday in an exchange with reporters during a cabinet meeting. “You know, at some point they’re going to say, ‘We just can’t take it anymore.’”
Asked if Americans should be prepared for the back-and-forth strikes between the US and Iran to continue, Trump responded, “A little bit.”
Previous talks between the two parties following an April truce stalled, with the ceasefire collapsing about a month ago and Iran again obstructing the Strait of Hormuz, a vital conduit for the global supply of oil and gas.
Iran blockaded the strait early in the war, which began with US and Israeli strikes on the Islamic Republic on February 28.
A deal last month between the US and Iran partially reopened the strait, with future talks planned to resolve larger issues, including Iran’s nuclear program. But the agreement, which Israel was not a party to, collapsed in early July after Iran fired on vessels. Israel has also yet to participate in the current round of fighting.
Israel was not party to the understanding and opposes a halt to strikes on Iran that would leave its nuclear and missile programs intact.
Conflicting reports on potential Israeli involvement
Meanwhile, reports circulated........
