menu_open Columnists
We use cookies to provide some features and experiences in QOSHE

More information  .  Close

Toronto police arrest 2 teenagers over latest shooting at US consulate

67 0
07.08.2026

Toronto police announced two arrests on Thursday in connection with the shooting at a US consulate in the city last month, calling the accused “criminals for hire.”

The July 27 shooting was the second time this year gunfire had been directed at the US diplomatic building in the downtown core of Canada’s largest city.

No one was injured in either event, but police described both as “national security” incidents, and the initial shooting on March 10 prompted beefed-up protection for US and Israeli diplomatic buildings in multiple Canadian cities, as war gripped the Middle East.

Toronto police said those arrested included a 19-year-old and a minor, aged 15. Both have been charged with 11 offenses, including “an attack on premises of internationally protected persons.”

Police identified the adult suspect as 19-year-old Xen-Ul-Abdeen Syed, who faces multiple firearm, arson and stolen-property charges, as well as a charge of attacking the premises of an internationally protected person. The minor cannot be identified under Canadian law.

“We believe these offenses were carried out by criminals for hire, recruited and directed through encrypted messaging apps,” police chief Myron Demkiw said in a statement.

“There has been significant public interest and speculation about who is behind these crimes,” Demkiw added. “That........

© The Times of Israel