Starmer apologizes to Epstein victims for appointing Mandelson, defies calls to resign
LONDON — UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer, battling for his political future, apologized on Thursday to the victims of Jeffrey Epstein for appointing disgraced Peter Mandelson, a friend of the sex offender, as US ambassador.
Starmer, who indicated he would not resign over the scandal, issued the apology after being dogged for days by his decision to send veteran politician Mandelson to Washington in February last year despite his ties to Epstein.
The latest crisis to hit his struggling government follows fresh allegations about the ex-envoy’s cozy ties to late sex offender Epstein that emerged in newly released files on Friday.
They have left many doubting Starmer’s judgment and some — including within his ruling center-left Labour party — questioning whether he can remain prime minister.
“It had been publicly known for some time that Mandelson knew Epstein, but none of us knew the depth and the darkness of that relationship,” Starmer said at the outset of a speech in southern England.
“I am sorry,” an impassioned Starmer said, addressing his apology to Epstein victims who “have seen accountability delayed and too often denied to them.”
“Sorry for what was done to you, sorry that so many people with power failed you, sorry for having believed Mandelson’s lies and appointed him,” he added, ahead of delivering a speech on defending British values.
Facing questions about whether he could remain in power, Starmer detailed his government’s priorities before adding: “I intend to go on doing that vital work.”
Starmer fired former UK minister and EU trade commissioner Mandelson........
