Greece to claim possession of Nazi atrocity photos found on eBay, minister says
ATHENS — Greece will claim possession of a World War II photo trove posted for sale online, which is believed to show, for the first time, one of Nazi Germany’s worst atrocities in the country, the Greek culture ministry said Wednesday.
The ministry said the photographs appeared to show “the last moments” of 200 Greek Communists executed by the Nazis on May 1, 1944.
Culture Minister Lina Mendoni said an “entire collection” of photographs apparently taken by a Nazi German army lieutenant serving in wartime Greece had been declared a national monument “due to its particular historical value.”
“They allow us to frame the drama of occupied Greece also through the eyes of the occupier,” she said in a statement.
“With today’s declaration of the collection as a monument, the Ministry of Culture acquires the legal basis to claim it and acquire it on behalf of the Greek state,” Mendoni said.
She added that the ministry wanted to look at the entire collection of photographs taken by Wehrmacht officer Hermann Heuer, who had also served in Belgium and France.
Προβολή της ιστορικής φωτογραφίας με προτζέκτορα στο #σκοπευτηριο #Καισαριανή pic.twitter.com/Zf7VbmXagg — EFSYN (@EFSYNTAKTON) February 18, 2026
Προβολή της ιστορικής φωτογραφίας με προτζέκτορα στο #σκοπευτηριο #Καισαριανή pic.twitter.com/Zf7VbmXagg
— EFSYN (@EFSYNTAKTON) February 18, 2026
The revelation has caused strong emotions in Greece, especially among relatives of the victims.
Greek Communist Party lawmaker Giorgos Lambroulis on Wednesday said the party had so far identified four men in the photographs.
Twelve of the photographs had originally appeared on Saturday on eBay, posted there by Crain’s Militaria, which boasts of selling a “selection of premium photos, documents and other Third Reich artefacts.” The photos were taken down on Monday.
The 200 Communists were executed in retaliation for the killing of a German general and his staff by communist guerrillas a few days earlier.
The execution at the Kaisariani shooting range in Athens was a seminal event of the 1941-1944 Nazi occupation of Greece, which was marked by several atrocities, mostly against Greek villagers.
Greece’s Jewish community was also almost entirely murdered during this period. Almost 60,000 of the nearly 72,000 Jews in Greece were killed by the Nazis, according to the US Holocaust Memorial Museum.
The mayor of Kaisariani, Ilias Stamelos, on Wednesday called the find of the photos “astonishing.”
“These are the first documents to come to light” regarding this event, he told state TV ERT.
Most of the men had been arrested years earlier during anti-communist raids by the police of Greek dictator Ioannis Metaxas.
Until now, the only testimony of the 200 victims’ final moments came from the handwritten notes they threw out of the trucks taking them to execution.
One of the pictures shows groups of the men marching through a field. Several others show them standing against a wall at the shooting range.
One photo appears to show the men being marched into the shooting range, after discarding their overcoats outside.
Mendoni said that ministry experts on Friday would visit the collector in Evergem, Belgium, to examine the photographs.
Times of Israel staff contributed to this report.
If so, we have a request.
Every day during the past two years of war and rising global anti-Zionism and antisemitism, our journalists kept you abreast of the most important developments that merit your attention. Millions of people rely on ToI for fact-based coverage of Israel and the Jewish world.
We care about Israel - and we know you do too. So we have an ask for this new year of 2026: express your values by joining The Times of Israel Community, an exclusive group for readers like you who appreciate and financially support our work.
We’re really pleased that you’ve read X Times of Israel articles in the past month.
You clearly find our careful reporting valuable, in a time when facts are often distorted and news coverage often lacks context.
Your support is essential to continue our work. We want to continue delivering the professional journalism you value, even as the demands on our newsroom have grown dramatically since October 7.
So today, please consider joining our reader support group, The Times of Israel Community. For as little as $6 a month you'll become our partners while enjoying The Times of Israel AD-FREE, as well as accessing exclusive content available only to Times of Israel Community members.
Thank you,David Horovitz, Founding Editor of The Times of Israel
1 US-Iran war could be imminent and take weeks, sources warn after latest nuclear talks
2 Vance: Nuclear talks showed some progress, but Iran won’t acknowledge Trump’s red lines
3 2026 Winter OlympicsJubilant Israeli team celebrates last-place finish in Olympic 2-man bobsleigh event
4 Madrid museum ejects 3 elderly Israeli tourists who displayed Israeli flag, Star of David
5 ExplainerWhat to know about key waterway that Iran declared closed as it holds military drill
6 Inside storyReunifying Arab parties aim for more power, but may wind up with more Netanyahu
7 Backed by Trump’s son, Israeli-founded AI drone startup plans to go public on Nasdaq
8 IDF soldier killed in ‘friendly fire’ incident in southern Gaza
