Council's 'flawed' five-week probe into 'Nazi' claims ends in farce
Norwich City Council has announced Charlie Caine, who represents the Greens, will face no action over claims he yelled the abuse at the group holding a silent vigil in front of the Forum for women and children in Afghanistan.
The women lodged an official complaint with City Hall on February 4, following the incident, having been urged to do so by the councillor when they objected to the shouting.
But after a five-week probe the authority has issued a two-line statement to say there had been no breach because the councillor was not on official business.
Charlie Caine (left) on the steps of City Hall (Image: Michelle Savage)
A spokesman said: "We sought an independent legal expert to carry out the investigation on our behalf.
"After carefully assessing all the available information, the independent legal expert confirmed there was no breach of the councillor code of conduct as this person was not acting in his role as a councillor at the time."
The conclusion has been criticised by the women, from the Norwich Women's Rights Group (NWRG), who have described it as "flawed".
A spokeswoman said: "The judgement relies on the surprising claim that such disgraceful public behaviour by someone who is well-known to all of us to be a city councillor for the Green Party, and who even invited a witness to........
© Norwich Evening News
