menu_open Columnists
We use cookies to provide some features and experiences in QOSHE

More information  .  Close

Hamas says open to Gaza peacekeeping force, but rejects foreign role in ‘internal affairs’

48 60
yesterday

Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP Friday that his terror organization is open to international peacekeeping forces in Gaza, but rejected any interference in the territory’s “internal affairs.”

“Our position on international forces is clear: we want peacekeeping forces that monitor the ceasefire, ensure its implementation, and act as a buffer between the occupation army and our people in the Gaza Strip, without interfering in Gaza’s internal affairs,” Qassem said.

Hamas had initially come out fervently against the International Stabilization Force when it was initially laid out last year by the US in its 20-point plan for ending the Gaza war. The terrorist group appears to be softening its stance now that the ISF is coming together and several countries have agreed to contribute troops to the force.

Hamas said in a statement late Thursday that any discussions on Gaza must begin with a total halt to Israeli “aggression” as US President Donald Trump’s “Board of Peace” maps out the territory’s future, with Israel insisting on the terrorists’ disarmament before reconstruction starts.

Trump’s board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel for rebuilding, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

He revealed that five countries — Indonesia, Morocco, Albania, Kosovo and Kazakhstan — agreed to contribute thousands of personnel to the International Stabilization Force, which is supposed to gradually replace Israeli troops in Gaza.

But the board meeting offered no timeline for Hamas to lay down its weapons or for Israel’s army to withdraw from the shattered enclave.

“Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression,” Hamas said.

The terror group also said arrangements for Gaza’s future must start with the “lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people’s legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination.”

The Board of Peace was established after the Trump administration, with longtime mediators Qatar and Egypt, negotiated a ceasefire in October to halt two years of devastating war between Israel and Hamas in Gaza.

The next phase of the Trump plan provides for the disarmament of Hamas, the gradual withdrawal of the Israel Defense Forces, and the deployment of the ISF, with a transitional Palestinian technocratic committee overseeing day-to-day governance.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins, which the terror group has rejected.

Both sides have frequently accused each other of violating the terms of the ceasefire, which came into effect last October after two years of devastating war started by the Hamas-led October 7, 2023, attack on Israel.

At the Board of Peace meeting on Thursday, Trump said several countries, mostly in the Gulf, had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Palestinians who spoke to AFP in the southern Gaza city of Khan Younis swayed between hope and suspicion about the Washington meeting.

“Trump is merely a military force imposing his views on the world, and this security council, which he boasts about, is another gateway to the occupation of Palestine, another face of the Zionist occupation,” said Farid Abu Odeh, referring to the board.

Another Palestinian, Mohammed al-Saqqa, said he was praying Trump’s board would lead to “security and peace, and to something better than what we have gone through.”

Many analysts and some US allies have indicated skepticism at the board due to concerns it may sideline the United Nations.

Hugh Lovatt, a senior policy fellow at the European Council on Foreign Relations, told AFP he found what was emerging from the board “seriously disturbing.”

Lovatt said many of its ideas for Gaza’s reconstruction originated from Israeli-friendly partners, while Palestinian voices were excluded.

He asserted that signs pointed to “a colonial project in terms of trying to impose a foreign economic project on a territory.”

French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot said the European Commission should not have sent a representative to the meeting as it did not have a mandate to represent member states.

Former US ambassador to Israel Dan Shapiro said the lack of Palestinian input and the grand reconstruction plans contingent on Hamas’s disarmament made it “hard to take the Board of Peace seriously.”

If so, we have a request. 

Every day during the past two years of war and rising global anti-Zionism and antisemitism, our journalists kept you abreast of the most important developments that merit your attention. Millions of people rely on ToI for fact-based coverage of Israel and the Jewish world. 

We care about Israel - and we know you do too. So we have an ask for this new year of 2026: express your values by joining The Times of Israel Community, an exclusive group for readers like you who appreciate and financially support our work. 

We’re really pleased that you’ve read X Times of Israel articles in the past month.

You clearly find our careful reporting valuable, in a time when facts are often distorted and news coverage often lacks context.

Your support is essential to continue our work. We want to continue delivering the professional journalism you value, even as the demands on our newsroom have grown dramatically since October 7.

So today, please consider joining our reader support group, The Times of Israel Community. For as little as $6 a month you'll become our partners while enjoying The Times of Israel AD-FREE, as well as accessing exclusive content available only to Times of Israel Community members.

Thank you,David Horovitz, Founding Editor of The Times of Israel

1 In freewheeling Board of Peace address, Trump reaffirms preference for strongmen, young women

2 Trump considering limited strikes to force Iran to make nuclear deal – report

3 Trump warns Iran of ‘bad things’ if no deal made, sets deadline of 10-15 days

4 Trump says ‘considering’ limited strike on Iran to coax it into accepting deal on his terms

5 Trump announces $17 billion in pledges for Gaza at inaugural Board of Peace confab

6 ‘Deep joy and strength’: 96-year-old Holocaust survivor is Israel’s newest immigrant

7 High Court tells state to advance Western Wall egalitarian plaza upgrade, without further delays

8 After Israeli recognition, Somaliland marks ‘1st Ramadan when the world knows us’


© The Times of Israel