Hong Kong tower fire – contractor for fire-hit Tai Po project has record of safety offences
The contractor behind renovation work at the site of Hong Kong’s worst fire in decades had previously breached safety requirements for construction projects on multiple occasions.
Prestige Construction & Engineering Co Limited was convicted of two safety offences in a Mid-Levels project in November 2023, according to Labour Department records seen by the South China Morning Post.
Despite the offences, the firm would subsequently take on renovation work in 2024 at Wang Fuk Court housing estate in Tai Po, which had been ravaged by fire for more than 24 hours since Wednesday.
The Labour Department only provides previous offence records of companies for the past two years on its website.
The government revealed on Thursday night that Prestige had another 11 ongoing projects with privately owned residential estates. The Buildings Department had inspected these projects earlier in the day and planned to take follow-up actions.
The fire started at one of the eight residential blocks at Wang Fuk Court and spread to another six, killing 83 residents with many more missing.
It spread fast as buildings were wrapped in scaffolding mesh and windows were covered with foam boards, authorities said.
In a reply to the Post’s queries earlier in the day, the department said it had issued warnings to Prestige to step up fire prevention measures as recently as 20 November.
It said authorities had inspected........





















Toi Staff
Gideon Levy
Sabine Sterk
Stefano Lusa
Tarik Cyril Amar
John Nosta
Ellen Ginsberg Simon
Gilles Touboul
Mark Travers Ph.d
Daniel Orenstein