IDF intercepts all ships in Gaza-bound flotilla, over 400 activists being transferred to Israel
The Foreign Ministry announced late Tuesday that the latest activist flotilla aiming to break Israel’s naval blockade of Gaza has “come to an end,” with more than 400 activists taken to Israel.
Israeli commandos intercepted all of the more than 50 boats in the flotilla. A live feed on the Global Sumud Flotilla’s website showed soldiers boarding the vessels as activists in life vests put their hands up. The troops then destroyed cameras mounted on the ships.
“Another PR flotilla has come to an end,” the Foreign Ministry wrote in a post on X. “All 430 activists have been transferred to Israeli vessels and are making their way to Israel, where they will be able to meet with their consular representatives. This flotilla has once again proved to be nothing more than a PR stunt at the service of Hamas. Israel will continue to act in full accordance with international law and will not permit any breach of the lawful naval blockade on Gaza.”
The Global Sumud Flotilla later confirmed that all 50 boats were intercepted, saying 428 participants from more than 40 countries detained were detained, including 78 Turks.
Italy’s Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani called for an urgent review of Israel’s use of force after Italian activists said soldiers fired rubber bullets at vessels, which was also reported by Hebrew media. Flotilla organizers claimed Israeli soldiers fired on five boats during the interdictions, with some damage. There were no reports of casualties.
“At no point was live ammunition fired,” the Foreign Ministry said in a statement earlier on Tuesday. “Following multiple warnings, non-lethal means were employed toward the vessel – not toward protesters – as a warning.”
Israeli forces opened fire at a Global Sumud Flotilla boat on Tuesday,........
