Germany jails several members of ‘Last Wave of Defense’ far-right militant group
HAMBURG, Germany — A German court handed prison sentences of up to five years on Wednesday to seven members or supporters of a far-right militant group called the “Last Wave of Defense.”
The men, all in their teens or early 20s, were convicted of crimes including membership in a terrorist organization, attempted murder and arson, for plotting attacks on refugees and left-wing activists.
The presiding judge in Hamburg said the adolescents and young men had absorbed far-right ideology and sought to “create chaos.”
Some of them had carried out initial attacks, including setting fire to a cultural center in the eastern German town of Altdoebern in October 2024 and hurling fireworks into a refugee shelter in the town of Schmoelln in January 2025, also scrawling Nazi symbols at the crime scene.
It was “only by chance” that no one inside was injured in those attacks, prosecutors said.
Police rounded up several suspected members and supporters in May last year,........
