menu_open Columnists
We use cookies to provide some features and experiences in QOSHE

More information  .  Close

Sydney Swans Players Named as Police Investigate Alleged Sexual Assault at Melbourne Hotel Before Finals

19 0
yesterday

MELBOURNE — Several Sydney Swans players have been named in connection with a Victoria Police investigation into an alleged sexual assault at a Melbourne hotel, casting uncertainty over their playing futures just weeks before the AFL finals series and throwing the club's premiership campaign into turmoil.

The investigation centers on an allegation of sexual assault at a hotel in East Melbourne in the early hours of Monday morning, hours after the Swans defeated Essendon at the MCG on Sunday night. According to reporting, Isaac Heeney, Riley Bice, James Jordon, Chad Warner and one additional player were contacted by representatives of the masthead after two senior industry sources said the players had been spoken to by police following the allegation. The reporting was careful to note that not all five players are necessarily under investigation, but rather that they are assisting police with their inquiries. A manager representing one of the five players denied that his client was involved in the incident.

None of the players has been arrested or charged with any offense, and Victoria Police has not named any individuals publicly in connection with the case. In a statement, Victoria Police confirmed it was "investigating a report of a sexual assault in East Melbourne on August 17." The statement added, "The incident occurred at a hotel on Wellington Parade in the early hours of the morning," and said "the exact circumstances are yet to be established and the investigation into the incident remains ongoing."

The five players named in the reporting were said to have driven back to Sydney........

© International Business Times