menu_open Columnists
We use cookies to provide some features and experiences in QOSHE

More information  .  Close

Bullrich promises AFA investigation after Estudiantes president gets six-month ban

3 0
yesterday

The AFA scandal over the end-of-the-year champion continues to escalate. On Thursday, the Argentine Football Association announced a six-month ban for Estudiantes de La Plata President Juan Sebastián Verón. The club leader had been in the spotlight after his players had refused to salute controversial champions Rosario Central before the match the two played. The players who were part of the protest also got a two-match ban.

The news of Verón’s sanction prompted former Security Minister Patricia Bullrich to say that she will investigate the football association’s “transparency” from her new position as senator. 

Bullrich claimed “there are plenty of irregularities” within Argentine football’s governing body but said there are still no plans for the government to intervene in the AFA.

“The country is marching towards order, not discretionality,” Bullrich said in an interview with Radio Mitre.........

© Buenos Aires Herald