menu_open Columnists
We use cookies to provide some features and experiences in QOSHE

More information  .  Close

Deal said in the works to revive US-Iran MOU, open Hormuz for 60 days without fees

60 0
02.08.2026

A deal is being mediated to return the United States and Iran to the memorandum of understanding the two countries signed last month, sources aware of the details told Channel 12 on Sunday.

The deal would ensure that the Strait of Hormuz remains open for 60 days without fees and renew a ceasefire between the two sides, according to the report.

Around the same time, Iranian state media said negotiations between Iran and Oman over a mutual mechanism to govern the strait were in their final stages.

The US-Iran memorandum obligated Iran to fully open the strait “for 60 days only,” and did not impose restrictions after that.

It collapsed amid competing claims over Hormuz, with US President Donald Trump insisting the strait would be open, while Tehran believed the deal allowed it to dictate the route taken by ships through the key waterway.

Late Saturday, Trump said Iran had agreed to open the strait and announced that he had called off a major attack on the Islamic Republic, adding that Israel was on board. Tehran denied there was a deal.

According to Channel 12, Israel was to be part of the attack, which was called off about 24 hours before it was set to begin, and only learned that it would not be carried out after Trump published a message to that effect in a social media post.

Planning for the attack began on Wednesday, a day after Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu met with Trump at the White House, according to the report.

The US Central Command prepared an attack plan on Iranian energy infrastructure. “Israel was supposed to be part of the plan,” a US official told Channel 12.

Israel told the US that if the attack did not significantly damage Iranian economic and regime targets, there would be no point in carrying it........

© The Times of Israel