U.S. Military Refuses to Endorse Trump Claim That Iran Bombed Girls’ School
Special Investigations
Press Freedom Defense Fund
U.S. Military Refuses to Endorse Trump Claim That Iran Bombed Girls’ School
“It would be inappropriate to comment given the incident is under investigation,” CENTCOM told The Intercept.
President Donald Trump claimed that Iran, not the U.S., struck an elementary school in the southern Iranian town of Minab, the attack with the highest civilian death toll in Trump’s second Iran war.
Three current and former defense officials, however, pushed back on his claims. Even Trump’s own Pentagon chief, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, refused to back him up. U.S. Central Command appeared to suggest that Trump’s comments were “inappropriate.”
“This is another instance of Trump lying and just talking out of his ass,” said a U.S. government official who reviewed satellite images of the Shajarah Tayyebeh school. “This clearly was not a failed rocket from the IRGC base.”
The U.S. official was referring to an Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps navy base that was adjacent to the school. The claim that the IRGC struck the school spread as part of a misinformation campaign about the attack peddled by social media accounts that support restoring Iran’s monarchy.
The U.S. official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to speak freely, said it was clear that Iran did not strike the school. Trump, however, endorsed the dubious claim when taking questions from the press aboard Air Force One on Saturday.
Sources Briefed on Iran War Say U.S. Has No Plans for What Comes Next
“Based on what I’ve seen, it was done by Iran,” Trump said of the attack, which killed at least 175 people, many of them children, according to Iranian health officials and state media.
Hegseth, standing alongside Trump, was asked if that was true and failed to endorse the claim.
“We’re certainly investigating,” he said before offering a non-denial denial. “But the only side that targets civilians is Iran.”
When asked for comment on the status of the U.S. military investigation, U.S. Central Command, the regional military command that oversees the Middle East, said that getting ahead of the investigation’s findings — precisely what Trump did — was improper.
The CENTCOM spokesperson, who did not give their name, said, “It would be inappropriate to comment given the incident is under investigation.”
The White House did not respond to requests for comment.
Missile Used Only by U.S.
A video released on Sunday by Iran’s semiofficial Mehr News Agency shows a cruise missile striking the naval base beside the elementary school as smoke appears to billow from the school itself, indicating that it had been struck just before the attack on the IRGC base. According to Bellingcat, the cruise missile was a Tomahawk.
“This entire compound — including the girls’ school — was deliberately targeted in a highly precise strike operation.”
“This entire compound — including the girls’ school — was deliberately........
