menu_open Columnists
We use cookies to provide some features and experiences in QOSHE

More information  .  Close

Trump says Iran to suspend nuclear program, won’t get funds

7 0
18.04.2026

Trump says Iran to suspend nuclear program, won’t get funds

President Donald Trump said Iran has agreed to suspend its nuclear program indefinitely, fueling optimism that a deal to end their war is in reach after Tehran announced the Strait of Hormuz was open again.

In a Friday phone interview, Trump asserted that any moratorium on Iran’s nuclear activities would not expire, saying it would be “unlimited.”

“Most of the main points are finalized. It’ll go pretty quickly,” Trump said. He also denied that the US would release any frozen funds to Iran — a key demand of the regime that he and his supporters have long decried. 

Details of any potential deal remained murky and Iran has yet to comment on Trump’s claim, which is virtually certain to go against its longstanding insistence that it has the right to enrich uranium. 

At the same time, momentum built throughout the day toward an agreement. Leaders in Tehran said that Hormuz is open for commercial shipping after Israel agreed to a ceasefire in Lebanon. At least eight oil tankers that had been stuck in the Persian Gulf raced toward the strait afterward in an apparent willingness to test the announcement.

Returning to Washington from a Phoenix event late Friday night, Trump offered more optimism about the discussions, telling reporters aboard Air Force One that he had received some “pretty good news” that pertained to Iran, without sharing details. Trump said that negotiations would continue “over the weekend.”

“I just think it’s something that should happen. It’s something that only makes sense to happen. And I think it will. We’ll see what happens,” he said. “I think that is going to be very beneficial. And the main thing is that Iran will not have a nuclear weapon.”

But........

© Fortune