US banks scrap US$20 billion Argentina bailout
Updated at 6 p.m.
U.S. banks JPMorgan Chase, Bank of America and Citigroup have called off a planned US$20 billion loan to Argentina, according to an article published on Thursday by The Wall Street Journal. Instead, bankers are discussing a new, short-term credit one-quarter the size.
Minister Luis Caputo denied ever discussing a bailout with banks and said the news is meant to “spread confusion.”
Nunca hablamos con los bancos de un rescate, ni de 20 mil millones. Es una “operación” más con la sola intención de generar confusión. https://t.co/XJqN9gB0Cj
Reports of the US$20 billion bailout emerged last month, when U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent told journalists that the private sector was planning to invest in Argentina’s sovereign debt. Previously, the U.S. had........





















Toi Staff
Gideon Levy
Sabine Sterk
Stefano Lusa
John Nosta
Tarik Cyril Amar
Ellen Ginsberg Simon
Gilles Touboul
Mark Travers Ph.d
Daniel Orenstein
Facundo Iglesia